Banana Crumb Cake (Dairy Free)
I am always looking for something different to do with my very ripe bananas I didn’t get around to eating. I wanted to make something besides the usual banana bread or muffins that I normally make. So, I went searching for something that looked delicious. I found it! Dairy free banana crumb cake.
I stumbled upon bakerita.com and saw this delicious recipe. Wow! This was a home run! What a moist, delicious cake. I made it for a brunch my sister in law had and it was a total hit. It was gone in a matter of ten minutes! Everyone came back for more.
Recipe adapted from bakerita.com
For the cake…
~ 2 cups flour (all purpose)
~ 1 tsp salt
~ 3 tsp baking powder
~ 3 very ripe bananas
~ 1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature
~ 1/2 cup lite brown sugar
~ 1 1/4 cup sugar
~ 2 eggs
~ 1 cup soy milk
~ 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumb topping…
~ 1 3/4 cup flour
~ 1/3 cup lite brown sugar
~ 1/3 cup sugar
~ dash of salt
~ 1/2 cup plus 2 TBL coconut oil, melted
~ 1 Cup pecans, chopped (can omit if you do not like nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with an electric mixer, mash bananas until smooth.
- Add coconut oil and beat until combined.
- Add soy milk, brown and white sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Prepare the crumb topping by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl. You can use your fingers or a fork to get course crumbles. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit more coconut oil, but you shouldn’t have to.
- Spread the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Top with crumb topping.
- Bake until done, pulls away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick that is inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. (about 45 minutes)
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool at least 1 hour before serving.
12 slices to one loaf pan
serving size 1 slice