Charlie’s Favorite Chicken Noodle Soup
Whenever I make home made chicken noodle soup, Charlie’s eyes light up. He loves it! He would eat soup everyday if I let him. This soup is so easy. It is another busy day idea for all you working parents out there. I will let you in on a little secret, I use a store bought rotisserie chicken. Yes, yes, I know….what am I thinking? Trust me, nobody will ever know the difference.
Serves 8 plus leftovers
~ Four 32-oz boxes of chicken broth
~ 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from the store and took the chicken off in larger pieces off of that)
~ 8 celery stalks, chopped
~ 1 pound of carrots, chopped into think discs
~ 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
~ 4 TBL chicken base
~ 4 bay leaves
~ 1 tsp thyme
~ 1 tsp parsley
~ 8 oz egg noodles
- Put chicken broth into a large soup pot and turn the heat to medium high.
- Add celery, carrot and onion and let cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken chunks.
- Add Chicken base and whisk in so it dissolves.
- Add seasonings and bay leaves.
- Let simmer another 20 minutes.
- Add egg noodles and let cook until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve when noodles are cooked through.
- You may need to add more or less chicken soup base depending on your taste buds.
- You will have plenty of left overs. You may need to add more chicken broth to the pot because the noodles will soak up some of it, so make sure you buy more than the recipe calls for at the store.
I hope you enjoy this soup like we do!