Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken & Veggies
I have a little secret to tell you. I rarely use slow cookers. I know, I know…. the nerve. Every time I do use the slow cooker, it’s usually for pulled pork or to keep my foods hot when I have parties. Why don’t I use them you ask? Because my husband HATES shredded or pulled meat. I could never get the meat to not fall apart in the slow cooker by the time I got off of work. Since the meat was not intact, Pat would not want to eat it. But, I found a little trick that might help all of you shredded meat haters…cook on high.
When I would go to work in the morning, I would set the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours. That is totally fine to do with tons of recipes, but not recipes where you want the meat to stay intact. I found out that if you want a whole chicken breast or thigh, that you want the fastest cooking time. Set that baby on high for 2-4 hours. So that is what I did. Since my daughter gets home before I do, I can have everything ready to go for her and all she has to do is take the pot out of the refrigerator and put it in the slow cooker and press a few buttons. Or, I will use these recipes on the weekends when I am home the majority of the day.
~ 8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
~ 16 ounces of baby red potatoes, cut in half
~ 16 ounces of baby carrots
~ 16 ounces of green beans, trimmed
FOR THE SAUCE
~ 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
~ 1/2 cup honey
~ 1/4 cup ketchup
~ 2 cloves garlic, minced
~ 1 teaspoon dried basil
~1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
~ 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
2. If you have time, and for a more flavorful dish, marinate the chicken thighs in this mixture over night. If you don’t have time, it will still be delicious, but not as intense of a honey garlic flavor.
3. Place the chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker pot and place the sauce over everything. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours (or low for 7-8 hours, but the chicken may not stay in tact). Baste the chicken with the sauce every half hour or so.
4. The last 30 minutes of the cooking time, add the green beans. The green beans take less time to cook.
5. OPTIONAL: When the chicken is don’t you can take it out of the slow cooker and put it on a baking sheet and under the broiler to make it more crisp, about 4 minutes.
6. Serve chicken and vegetables immediately.
Enjoy! Let me know how your turned out in the comments below!
Stay Sweet~ Amanda